Inflation is on the rise, and the cost of everything from fuel to groceries is skyrocketing, making a lot of people feel overwhelmed. This includes your leads and customers, some of whom might even decide not to buy or renew their insurance, settle for a cheaper policy, or cancel their policy altogether when they see that the rates have gone up. They might feel hopeless, and you might worry about losing business, but remember, as an agent, there are always ways you can help people save money on insurance, and find an affordable plan. There are ways to put them at ease, as well as to keep inflation from dragging your business down.
The Dreaded Calls & How You Can Help
If you haven’t been experiencing it already, get ready: customers have been calling insurance agents left and right, asking why insurance rates have gone up. And their concern is understandable: in times like these, everyone is looking for ways to save a little money.
If you’ve already been receiving these calls, don’t panic! First, take a deep breath and sympathize with your customer- hey we’re all going through it, so let them know that you completely understand. Next, assure your customer that you will do your best to make sure they have a plan that works for them and that they can afford it. Once you’ve tried to calm their nerves, follow these steps:
- Go through their account with a fine-tooth comb– Take a close look at your customer’s account and see exactly why their insurance rate has gone up. There could be a variety of reasons, such as if they have made a claim or if they had a discount at one point that is no longer available. Being able to explain exactly why things change often helps customers become more comfortable with their rates. While they still might not like it, having a reason is better than approaching them with ‘that’s just how it is these days.’
- Examine every nook & cranny for discounts– Scroll through their account and see if there is any way you can find a discount for them- there might be one for being a loyal customer, making payments on time, or putting in little to no claims.
- Look through their application- If you can’t find any discounts for their current plan, try to go through their application and update it. Things might have changed from when they first filled out the application – maybe for the better. Or their life situation might have changed, making it easier for them to qualify for subsidies or get a new plan. For example, they might have lost their job or had a qualifying life event, allowing you to look through all available options in their area and find a plan that provides them with what they need in their price range.
- Bundle insurance– One way to help customers save money is by bundling their insurance. Yes, it might sound insane to try to offer them more insurance, but by bundling, they will end up saving money without having to sacrifice coverage. For example, check if you can bundle their health insurance plan with their home insurance or bundle multiple business insurance policies together. By bundling, customers can get discounts of up to 25% less than buying them from multiple companies.
Keeping Your Business Afloat
Your customers are probably not the only ones stressing out. If you’re worried about the fate of your business in these uncertain times, don’t panic. Even in this new normal, there are some things you can do to adjust and make sure your business continues to thrive:
- Evaluate your loss ratios and carrier rate -The formula for determining your loss ratio is: (insurance claims paid + adjustment expenses) divided by total earned premiums. Evaluating this will help you determine how your business can save money and minimize profit-sharing risks that can hurt your business.
- Negotiate contracts– If you have contracts with carriers, consider negotiating any fixed contingency deals you have, which can help reduce risk over the long term. Most companies are fairly receptive to negotiation and will consider changes at any point during a contract period if the negotiating agency has a good loss ratio and adequate premium volume.
- Step up your marketing– When all else fails, market your way to new customers, focusing on how your agency can help customers save money. These are trying times but business growth is still possible, and the best way to keep your business going.
And with every cloud comes a silver lining: the one upside to these tough times is that commission income will be increasing, which could help offset any decrease in income from the insurance company/companies you work with.
Prices continue to rise, leaving many to worry and look for every possible way to save money. And when your customers see their insurance rates shoot up, they will want to know why and what you can do to help them. But you can be ready for them, and find ways to keep their business, so you can continue to grow yours! Remember loyal customers are your best asset, and a free marketing tool. If you are able to help your customers and make them happy they are more likely to refer you to friends and family!
While you are waiting on those referrals, if you’re looking for new leads and want to grow your business, Benepath can help! We offer exclusive leads for clients who are ready to buy. Benepath will provide you with better tools, more guidance, unsurpassed sales training, and techniques from the most successful agents and trainers in the industry to help you stay on top of the latest industry trends. When you grow, we grow, so let us help you fight inflation panic and have the best sales year yet. To get more information, fill out the form above, or call 866-368-0377.