The rules for how to best utilize Search Engine Optimization, or SEO, are always evolving. In order to improve the quality and quantity of traffic to your website, you need to stay on top of these rules and have a basic idea of how search engines use algorithms to choose which sites they will show to people. In most cases, customers are not going to be searching for your company specifically, so you have to know what keywords they are likely to type into the search bar. There are billions of websites on the internet, and it can be challenging to know how to beat your competitors at the search engine ranking game, so here are some tips to help make your website stand out.
The best way to boost your website’s ranking is by doing some research. For example, you’ll need to research keywords and phrases that your specific audience uses when looking for answers online. You have to understand your audience and how they can benefit from your services. When you begin researching, consider:
- Focusing on local search terms, such as “Florida commercial insurance,” so you can target customers who live where your business is located.
- Making a list of relevant topics based on the insurance products you offer. Be sure to consider alternate terms that people may search for; for example, “business insurance” and “commercial insurance.”
- Researching related keywords, for example the keywords that appear as suggestions in Google when you begin typing an insurance question or product.
- Prioritizing keywords with higher volume and lower competition.
Content is king, and when writing your content, it is very important to include your keywords where it makes sense. Use your keywords multiple times on your page or in your post, but only where it fits. Don’t just stick them in in random places! Consider placing your keyword(s) in your:
- Page title
- First line of your text
- Meta description, or the brief summary that appears below your page title in the search engine results
- Picture captions or alt text (alternative text), or the written copy that appears in place of an image on a webpage
As stated, make sure that your keywords flow in your content, because search engines can penalize you for over-optimizing your page.
Influence plays a large role in SEO and the success of your business. There are two main ways that you can influence people, and nudge them towards choosing your business:
- Solicit online reviews- Positive reviews are compelling reasons for people to consider choosing to work with your business. If you have satisfied customers, ask them to leave a review to help get you noticed online. Having multiple positive reviews organically gives Google more keywords that will help in promoting your business. Don’t be shy – research shows that 70% of people will take the time to leave a review when asked.
- Produce and promote content- Blogging and content promotion is crucial for your SEO. People want to work with companies that they feel are authorities in their field; one way to be viewed in this way is by blogging. Businesses with blogs generate about 55% more leads than companies that don’t have them.
Use Google My Business
Are you aware of “Google My Business,” or GMB? It is embedded right into Google’s search engine and using it is one of the most effective ways to rank high in local search results. With a Google My Business account, your business will be listed with its location, hours, contact information, and other relevant information. You can also show up on Google’s “map pack”; when someone searches for a business in Google, they are most likely to click on one of the top 3 – 4 businesses on the “map pack.” Build a compelling profile by using your best performing local SEO keywords in the business description, adding content like blog posts and images, and constantly updating your information when necessary.