Trying to figure out if becoming an insurance agent is right for you? Or maybe you’ve passed your insurance agent exam and are now licensed in your state to start selling insurance, but are wondering what your new job is going to be like? If you’re new to the insurance industry or want to start a career in this industry, you’re probably wondering what your day-to-day responsibilities are going to be. Knowing what an agent is responsible for can help you better prepare for your work, and help you become more successful at selling insurance.
Captive Vs Independent Agents
First of all, you should know that your responsibilities might differ based on whether you are a captive agent working for an insurance company, or an independent agent. Captive agents are employed by a single insurance company and can only sell policies from that insurer. On the other hand, independent insurance agents don’t work for one specific insurance company, rather they can work with and sell policies from many insurers.
This means that, for captive agents, their duties will be dictated by the needs of the insurance company that they work for. On the other hand, independent agents work for their own agency, so they can often set their own schedules.
So what does the typical workday look like for insurance agents? An agent’s daily routine will most likely be similar regardless of the type of insurance they sell, whether Medicare Supplement Plans, health insurance plans, or business insurance. The list of responsibilities that insurance agents have might include, but are not limited to:
- Calling potential new clients and leads to pitch them one or more types of coverage.
- Explaining the ins and outs of many different policies to potential new leads and customers, as well as existing customers.
- Speaking with potential leads to assess their interest in buying insurance, and to collect as much relevant information as possible so they can search for plans.
- Analyzing policies held by current customers to see if any changes need to be made to their coverage, or if any additions should be suggested to them.
- Putting together a list of options available to potential leads, along with quotes, rates, and coverage options each plan offers.
- Renewing plans for existing customers.
- Maintaining and updating customer records.
- Helping answer questions, concerns, and any other issues for existing customers and policyholders, including helping with claims.
Finding New Leads/Customers
If you’re looking for more ready-to-buy leads, you can rely on Benepath. We offer you real-time exclusive leads who are warmed up and ready to purchase an insurance plan – all you have to do is tell us the days and times that you are available so that we can connect you to live transfer calls during your specific hours. In short, we do all the work for you, finding you pre-qualified leads and simply passing them off to you to make the sale. Benepath will provide you with better tools, more guidance, unsurpassed sales training, and techniques from the most successful agents and trainers in the industry, not to mention the best leads available!
To get more information, fill out the form above, or call 866-368-0377.